After making a selection of muffins for my husband, I wanted to make something completely different and special! Before going Low Carb he used to love eating Bakewell Tart. These just hit the spot nicely, although I can’t keep him out of the bread bin, where I keep them.12 muffins – 13 carbs, 172 calories
- 160g of Carbquik
- 40g of Ground Almonds
- 40g of Almond Flour
- 30g of belted butter
- 1 heaped tspn of baking power
- Truvia (sweetener) to taste (I use around 3 tbsp depending on the fruit content)
- 3 medium sized eggs
- 100ml of full fat milk (or more.. depending on the consistency of the mixture)
- 50g of desiccated coconut
- 50g half a pot of glacé cherries (chopped into quarters- works out to 1.5 cherries per muffin)
- 100g of flaked almonds, ( keep about 2tbsp flaked for decoration, crush the rest)
- 3 tbsp Kirsch (optional- but it really adds to the flavour)
Pour in the melted butter and most of the milk so it works into a mixture, then beat in the eggs. Keep adding milk until its a soft mixture (not runny- not stiff). Then add your coconut, crushed almonds, cherries, and Kirsch. Now add your sweetener, to taste. Divide into 12 muffin portions and sprinkle a few flaked almonds on top.
Bake for 20 minutes, at 160 degrees. middle of the oven. Let them cool before handling as Carbquik isn’t very manageable hot.