Autumn is here, and as the nights start to draw in our tastebuds begin to yearn for something heartwarming. Cottage pie is a firm favourite for us throughout the darker half of the yea, but clearly loading up with mashed potato wasn’t going to work. Instead, the mashed topping is made with cauliflower, sour cream and cheese. It works really well, and although it obviously isn’t potato, it offers an equally filling and satisfyingly savoury topping to the meaty filling. Low carb soul food!per portion – 14 carbs, 370 cals
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 500g Beef, minced (no need to find low fat!)
- 1 (large) Onion, finely chopped
- 100g Mushrooms, sliced (white or chestnut is fine)
- 40g Carrot, diced
- 2 Oxo cubes
- 2tsp Heaped sage, finely chopped
- 1tsp Heaped thyme, finely chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 200g Plum tomatoes, tinned
- 2 Cloves garlic (optional)
- 1kg Cauliflower (approx 1 large head)
- 100g Strong Cheddar Cheese
- 20g Butter
- 100ml Sour cream
Steam cauliflower until soft, but not stewed – the trick is to get it to the point where it will mash, yet retain some texture.
Meanwhile, brown the meat together with the oxo cube and once the meat releases some fat, add the onions. Once the onion starts to soften, add the remaining ingredients. Add salt & pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes then transfer to casserole dish.
Once the cauliflower is steamed, mash with cheese, butter and sour cream, then place on top of meat and sprinkle some more cheese on top and cook in oven at 200 degrees for 20 minutes until the edges start to brown. Enjoy!